Cosmetics have become an integral part of all beauty rituals. Because of this, many companies around the world work year after year to offer all kinds of products for these purposes.
In recent years, however, there has been a growing wariness about the dangers that many of them entail after use, because, unfortunately, you can find counterfeit products made from rather harmful substances.
Health Hazards of Certain Cosmetics
Many hazardous chemicals are found in antibacterial soaps, body lotions and decorative cosmetics.
Components such as phthalates, triclosan and oxybenzone are often found in everyday products, according to a recent study by scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, USA.
In previous studies, consistent consumption of these foods has been linked to an increased risk of cancer, premature menopause, cognitive problems and many other conditions.
Now, an analysis led by Dr. Kim Hurley, deputy director of the UC Berkeley Environmental and Child Health Research Center, has found that they also cause hormonal imbalances that can lead to various complications.
To come to this conclusion, the experts took data from 100 adolescent women who stopped using their personal care products for 3 days and replaced them with products that did not contain harsh chemicals.
Other effects of harmful cosmetics
In addition to the effects mentioned, there are a number of other effects that can occur if you are not careful with cosmetics:
- Skin diseases such as acne and dermatitis.
- Allergic reactions and sensitivities.
- Loss of natural sebum.
- Stains and clogged pores .
- A double investment because they don’t have a good finish.
- They disappear easily.
- They are not always germ-free.
- They can cause premature aging.
How to reduce the risk of harmful cosmetics?
First, you should read the labels to determine whether they contain triclosan, parabens and oxybenzone. If yes, it is better to abandon them and opt for other types of products.
In the case of phthalates, things are a little more complicated, because sometimes they are not listed on the packaging, but are masked under such terms as “fragrance” or “fragrance”. Likewise, it is important to consider some indications that a product may be pirated or of dubious origin.
Among them are:
- The quality and appearance of your prints or labels.
- The condition of your box.
- The manufacturing facility or laboratory.
- The warranty seals.
- The texture of the product.
- Strange smells and colors.
- Health register.
Skin care after using harmful cosmetics
In conclusion, it is a good idea to consider not applying all chemicals to your skin several days a week . In this way, it is allowed to breathe as needed, its cells are easily oxygenated and promotes its deep cleansing.
When buying cosmetics it is always important to look at their composition. However, a person without special education is not always able to understand what to pay attention to. In addition, one person may be allergic to the same ingredient, while another is not. But we can name the most common mistakes that can negatively affect your skin.
- Placenta extract. Some people can have allergic reactions to placenta in cosmetics. In this case, you need to change the product.
- Phytohormones. The danger of cosmetics with phytohormones is that during the application, the skin becomes very beautiful and well-groomed, but after the course ends, there are side effects due to interference with the hormonal system.
- Alcohols. They activate the sebaceous glands, which negatively affects the condition of the skin.
- Cosmetics for a different skin type. If, for example, if you use cosmetics for dry skin, it can lead to a failure of its normal state: the skin becomes greasier, thinner, there is a rash, etc. After that it is hard to correct the situation.
- Cosmetics not appropriate for your age. Cosmetics for mature skin contain ingredients that are not suitable for young skin and can over-saturate it. As a result, there may be puffiness and other unwanted reactions, or there may not be any reactions, but the skin will get used to such cosmetics, and after the anti-aging products will no longer work.
- Herbs and essential oils. If there is an individual intolerance, such components can cause an allergic reaction. Even if you do not have a “reaction” to the herbs in the cosmetic, it is better to change such cosmetics from time to time, so that there is no oversaturation and, consequently, allergies. There are also cosmetic products made with oil. If the pancreas and liver are sensitive, such cosmetics can also cause an allergic reaction.
- The oversaturation of components. Some seemingly useful components can oversaturate the skin with the constant use of the same product, and then there will be a negative reaction. For example, if the skin is dry and sensitive, then the constant use of serums, creams, which include fruit acids, you can over-saturate the skin.
- Dark clay. With porous skin, pores clog quickly.
- Thickeners, fragrances, preservatives and other “chemicals” can give an allergic reaction.
How to protect yourself
To minimize the risk of adverse skin reactions to cosmetic products, you should use professional cosmetics. But even if you only use cosmetics that are recommended by your beautician, you can not be 100% immune from unwanted results. It happens that in some well-known cosmetics products change the formula. In this case, even professional cosmetologists can not always know what elements have been added. It is also important to use the most natural products. They can be prepared at home, often cosmetologists themselves prepare creams and masks. They are short shelf life and do not have as intense flavor as industrial products, but they are usually hypoallergenic, for which the beautician who uses them can vouch.
- What manufacturer to give preference to
- When choosing a manufacturer, it is important that:
- The manufacturer is known;
- About the firm was a lot of feedback – both from cosmetologists and consumers, including on the Internet;
- The firm has been on the market for a long time, at least several years.
- It is also important to understand that if a cosmetics manufacturer has not been on the market long, there is a high probability of using cheaper ingredients in order to save money.
The most important thing to remember when trying new cosmetics is that any new product can contain a component that can cause an allergic reaction. It is possible that you are not allergic to one product, but if you combine it with another product, you get an allergic reaction. In this case we can talk about oversaturation of the skin with some component.
In order to rule out an allergy, it is better to do a test on the bend of the elbow and look at the reaction of the skin before you start using it. Typically, allergies to cosmetics appear either immediately or the next day. If you have an allergic reaction to cosmetics, you can no longer use that cosmetic. If the allergy has not decreased with the exclusion of the cosmetic, it may not be a cosmetic allergy, but a food allergy. Allergies to cosmetics can be relieved by taking antihistamines for 2-3 days, or by applying a boric acid solution to the skin.
Contact with the surface of the eye
First of all, the danger is the contact with the surface of the eye of particles of cosmetic products. For example, eyeliner is applied directly to the edge of the eyelid in the maximum proximity to the eyeball, and mascara tends to crumble.
On the outside of the eyes are covered with a tear film, a fluid that is produced by our body to moisten the surface of the cornea and protect it. When it gets on it, particles of cosmetics can provoke several unpleasant things. First of all, irritation of the eye surface, which causes redness and itching. If such exposure occurs on a regular basis, there is a disturbance in the stability of the tear film. Contact with the surface of the eye becomes more sensitive to the person, which creates discomfort when wearing contact lenses.
Dangerous beauty: how cosmetics can harm your eyes
Prolonged violation of the stability of the tear film can cause the development of dry eye syndrome, which is already quite a serious disease. The qualitative or quantitative composition of the film changes, leaving part of the cornea surface unprotected. As a result, nerve fibers are exposed, the eyes don’t get the necessary moisture, they become tired faster, and a feeling of sand and thread appears. You already need to see a doctor to treat it.
Be careful when removing makeup. Despite the fact that the product is applied to the eyelids when the eyes are closed, there is a chance of getting it on the eyeball, which aggravates the evaporation of tear fluid. In this case, the most dangerous makeup removers based on oils (read also: “5 rules of competent makeup removal that will not harm the skin”).
Quality cosmetics are made from anti-allergenic ingredients, but some of them can act as irritants, including for the skin around the eyes.
If we talk directly about the organs of vision, mucosal irritation can provoke any foreign body, even in minute quantities. According to statistics, the leader among the allergenic cosmetics is waterproof mascara. The matter is its composition, which includes lanolin, beeswax, plant resins.
Dangerous beauty: how cosmetics can harm your eyes
Another non-obvious irritant is lengthening mascara. The fine nylon fibers that create lash length and volume can crumble and get into your eyes. Daily use of such a product can lead to the problems described above.
The skin around our eyes is very delicate and sensitive, so it is especially demanding when choosing makeup products. Irritation and rashes, swollen skin, itching, and redness are all signs of an allergic reaction, signaling that some of the products you use are clearly not suitable for you (read also: “5 quick ways to hide redness and tired eyes”).
Complications of these allergies can include blepharitis and conjunctivitis, which appear as a reaction to the allergen. Frequent ulcers and mucous discharge in the corners of the eyes can also be the result of an allergic reaction.
Use of expired cosmetics can also lead to these diseases. A few months after that date, bacteria begin to multiply in it, provoking an ailment when it comes into contact with the mucosa.
Dangerous beauty: How cosmetics can harm your eyes
You can never rule out the possibility of accidentally damaging the surface of your eye when applying makeup. The same eyeliner pencil is applied just a few millimeters from the eye tissues and only one inaccurate movement separates it from the injury.
Accidental needle injuries can lead to corneal dissection or scratching/cutting of the eyeball. The symptoms of these injuries are sharp pain, photophobia, and redness. If this happens, you need to visit an ophthalmologist. The main danger is getting an infection into the laceration that has formed, so it is better to use antibacterial drops that your doctor will select for some time, and possibly undergo a course of medication.