Few people realize that facial skin is one of the first areas to be affected by smoking. We’re talking about the so-called smoker’s wrinkles, which are specific to the area around the mouth. Today, along with an expert, let’s look at the causes of this problem and the best ways to get rid of it.
Why smoker’s wrinkles appear
Smoker’s wrinkles are commonly referred to as pucker wrinkles. They form because smoking involves folding your lips into a tube to hold the cigarette as you inhale the smoke. Of course, these wrinkles will eventually develop in almost everyone as a result of natural aging processes or genetics, but for a smoker, the overall process of aging is medically accelerated.
In fact, it’s not just sour lines and wrinkles that are caused by smoking. Harmful chemical compounds in cigarettes and cigarette smoke disrupt blood flow, causing facial capillaries to spasm and damaging collagen fibers. Cigarette smoke reduces the level of moisture in the stratum corneum of the skin, causing dryness, and the free radicals formed damage cells, affecting elastin and collagen.
Thus, smoking forms a characteristic portrait on the face of a person, which is unmistakably defined by every beautician: a grayish-earthy dull skin tone, redness in the cheek area due to damaged capillaries (couperose), dryness and dehydration, wrinkles and fine creases across the skin surface.
How to remove smoker’s wrinkles
Today, there are many working ways to correct this aesthetic problem. Here are 5 of the most effective and efficient ones.
- Botulinum therapy helps to cope with the formation of sour wrinkles, by relaxing the hypertonicity of the circular muscles of the mouth.
- Biorevitalizants and mesotherapy products containing hyaluronic acid, vitamins and amino acids can moisturize smoker’s skin and give it a healthy, radiant look.
- Collagen-containing products that not only repair damaged collagen fibers in the skin, but also promote the synthesis of new collagen.
- IPL/BBL phototherapy helps effectively restore blood flow in the capillaries of the skin, returning an even tone without blemishes or redness.
- Home care based on serums with vitamin C and antioxidants.
It is important to realize that not only cigarettes, but also smoking electronic cigarettes and hookahs have a detrimental effect on the skin. So once again we remind you: the best preventive measure is to give up your addiction completely.